Avg. consumer rating = 89/100
The F5914-900 SteamVac is a best-seller on Amazon and over 1000 consumers have rated this machine an average of 9 out of 10 (Dec/09 update). It is also presently selling at about a 40% discount. Hoover is part of TTI Floor Care North America. They have been developing high performance and specialized cleaning machines for both commercial and domestic use since 1908. The Hoover F5914-900 SteamVac is another in a long line of Hoover innovative vacuum cleaners.
The Hoover F5914-900 SteamVac with Clean Surge (sometimes simply called the f914-900 by consumers) is a rug cleaner that uses hot water, spinning brushes and detergent to deep clean your carpets. It can also be used on upholstery and bare floors (but not hardwood). There is a trigger in the handle of the vacuum that allows one to release a flow of hot water and detergent into the cleaning area. Additionally there is a Clean Surge button that allows for the release of an extra shot of detergent this is especially useful if you are working on a particularly tough stain.
The vacuum cleaner has two tanks one for the hot cleaning water and detergent, and one for the dirty water picked up from the carpet. Reports indicate that cleanup and maintenance of these tanks is easy and straightforward.
Features of the vacuum cleaner include:
- 12 amp motor
- 5 removable spinning brushes (removable for easier cleaning)
- 8 foot long hose
- special nozzle for scrubbing out stains
- special bare floor nozzle
- powered handtool for upholstery or small carpeted areas
- on/off foot pedal for the brushes
- 11 inch cleaning path
- belt-less design
- One bottle 16 oz. Carpet/Upholstery Detergent included
- 1 year warranty
What are consumers reporting?
In general consumers report that this machine works well and does a great job. Common comments include:
- Cleans carpets very well
- Excellent suction and scrubbing ability
- Saves money compared to hiring a professional
- Many consumers compare the results to those of professional carpet cleaners
- Especially useful for those who have pets
- Fairly easy to assemble
There are a few grumblings however:
- the dirty water tank often fills before the hot water tank is empty therefore you have to remove and drain this tank frequently
- there is no steam the unit uses hot water and detergent. It seems the name steam vac is cause for complaint with some folks. This is, however, how many steam vacuums work and this marketing approach is not isolated to Hoover.
- heavy but most consumers also understand that this is not your basic vacuum cleaner.
Consumer ratings from several quality websites are provided below and indicate consumer satisfaction.
|Source||Consumer Rating||# Reviews|
|Amazon||4.5 out of 5 stars||408|
|Epinions||4 out of 5 stars||28|
|Pricegrabber||4 out of 5 stars||21|
Those that have worked with the vacuum also offer a few pointers:
- The powered handtool can be a bit too strong for delicate fabrics like velvet.
- Always use a regular vacuum to vacuum your carpet first before using the machine.
- You have to use hot tap water. The vacuum does not heat the water.
Overall the Hoover F5914-900 SteamVac rates extremely well with consumers and appears to do a quality cleaning job for a reasonable price. It appears to have what it takes where it counts with limited downside.
POST YOUR COMMENT